19-Finding COG & Balancing – Building HZ Super Cub from Scratch

Aseries of videos of how to scratch build your HZ Super Cub. In these videos I’ll show you how to do simple mods to strengthen the stock equipment, add lipos, ailerons, electronics and cover your plane. This is a multi-part video – Finding COG & Balancing the Plane. Listed below is a series of videos on Scratch building a Super Cub. Click on one of the links to view the tutorial. Part 1 – Modifying the Fuselage (BatterBox) uk.youtube.com Part 2 – Modifying the Fuselage (Wing Saddle) uk.youtube.com Part 3 – Covering the Fuselage Part 1 uk.youtube.com Part 4 – Covering the Fuselage Part 2 uk.youtube.com Part 5 – Cutting out the Ailerons Part 1 uk.youtube.com Part 6 – Cutting out the Ailerons Part 2 uk.youtube.com Part 7 – Covering the Ailerons uk.youtube.com Part 8 – Covering the Wing – Bottom uk.youtube.com Part 9 – Covering the Wing – Top uk.youtube.com Part 10 – Mounting the Ailerons Part 1 uk.youtube.com Part 11 – Mounting the Ailerons Part 2 uk.youtube.com Part 12 – Installing the Ailerons Servos uk.youtube.com Part 13 – Installing the Aileron Control Horns uk.youtube.com Part 14 – Installing Can Motor & Battery Box Mods uk.youtube.com Part 15 – Installing the Electronics uk.youtube.com Part 16 – Modifying the Landing Gear Part 1 uk.youtube.com Part 17 – Modifying the Landing Gear Part 2 uk.youtube.com Part 18 – Adding & Making Custom Decals uk.youtube.com Part 19 – Finding COG & Balancing the Plane uk.youtube.com Part 20 – Adjusting & Centering the Ailerons uk.youtube.com

Tags: , , , , ,

10 Responses to “19-Finding COG & Balancing – Building HZ Super Cub from Scratch”

1. realtywizard says:

Thank you! I recentlyconverted my Supercub to an Eflite 15 brushless motor with 2200mA battery. Though I strategically placed the battery I still found I was extremely nose heavy. Your video explains it all. Not just giving a measurement from the leading edge for the COG but rather explaining where the COG needs to be. Thanks!

2. realtywizard says:

3. cdrc2004 says:

Plane balanced out about 1/8″ tail heavy so should be ok. I’ve painted and dolled this SC up to match D-Day L4 Grasshopper. Looks pretty sharp but the paint and decals may have added a bit of weight to tail. Thanks.

4. cdrc2004 says:

Ok, simple mistake: While adding ailerons/new rx, I also changed out rud/elev servos. I just now realized that for some reason, elev servo needed to be reversed in my radio (dx6). When taking off the other day, I was applying up elev but was actually applying down! In being so concerned about ailerons I didn’t notice reversed elev. I’m ok flying my 4 ch Corsair and I’ve flown this SC many times so nosing over w/ WTO really baffled me, thought it was a weight problem. Lesson learned. Thanks!

5. NeCubFlyer says:

Balancing… mark on the wing 2.25″ and use your index fingers as a jig, you’ll know right off if it’s balanced. 1/8″ fore or aft is fine, anything more then you should be looking at your battery/rx installation. If moving those don’t help, start adding weight until you achive proper balanec at 2.25″.

Always balance a plane to its COG specs before its first maiden flight!!!

6. NeCubFlyer says:

If the plane balances as discribed in the vid then it should fly. As far as taking off, if you give it WOT on take-off the plane will want to pull to the left and nose over every time. So yes, you should be applying (not trimming) up elevator and a little right rudder to give the plane the proper “Angle of attack” then trim as needed in the air for straight & level flight at mid throttle.

7. cdrc2004 says:

Oh yeah, Du Bro wheels aren’t helping as far as nose weight. Maybe I should trim “up” just a hair on elevator… Thanks!

8. cdrc2004 says:

Yet another cool video! Thanks to you, I’ve added ailerons and Spektrum receiver. 1st flight didn’t work out well. The problem was my SC seems very nose heavy now, so much so that the prop was hitting the pavement as I was at full throttle during take off. Is it possible that the servos, wiring etc. have added that much weight to the nose? I’m going to balance my plane per your video. What should I use to counter balance and should I set jig at 2.25″ from lead edge as you did? Thanks!

9. zenithbay says: